Sunday, January 8, 2012

Get Creative With Terrariums

Seems like terrariums are all the rage lately so a friend and I wanted to make some for Christmas gifts.
I was surprised when I looked into the "how to" at how creative some people got with theirs and decided to have some fun with mine.

The basics are pretty easy. Start with any glass bowl, I found some interesting ones at the thrift store. You can also buy a specific terrarium bowl but they are pretty pricey.
Then add a layer of rocks, charcoal, sand and/or soil depending on the plants you are using.
You can get all of these at any gardening store.
I also used pretty rocks that I have collected and some marbles 
So here they are!


This fun beach scene is for my friends that just got married in Mexico on the beach


I really liked this vase I found and picked the plants to fit. They are nestled in reindeer lichen and I got the cool shells at an eclectic store here in San Francisco.


For obvious reasons this one stole the show! I created a Star Wars battle scene for my husband


I got the figurines online from amazon and the cool "living stones" plants from a store 
on Etsy (acorndesignsource) and the black sand is from our local beach


And I squished the leftover air plant into this tiny bottle using a pencil to arrange everything

I made all of these for the same cost of buying a terrarium kit or buying an already 
made one from the store plus my friend made a couple too,
 and you can get creative and really personalize them.

They are also pretty easy to take care of just spray with water once a week 
and keep in filtered light.
So get inspired and have fun with your terrarium!

1 comment: