Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Strawberry Lavender Honey Jam

My favorite jam to make because it's Kris' favorite and I love using Lavender in cooking, and not just the flavor, I like to throw the flowers right in. If you don't want flowers in yours put them into a tea bag or strainer and just steep it in the jam for about 10 minutes.

So it sounds difficult but it's super easy to make....I try to make new recipes by the book then next time I can break the rules. 
I've been using this Pomona's pectin because you can make twice the amount of jam with 1/2 the sugar and it turns out great! I use the "cooked jam recipes" from the pectin and then slightly vary it depending on what I want or what ingredients I have


So I cut the strawberries quite small and pour the 1/4 cup of lemon juice on to help soften the strawberries before I mash them b/c even ripe strawberries are not easy to mash.

Next start cooking, throw in about 3 tablespoons of fresh or dried Lavender (to taste)


Add sugar or honey...I only had 1 cup of honey left so I made up the rest with sugar or (also to taste)


Then boil for a one minute and put into whatever jars you have just make sure your jars are sterilized.
I just happened to have some cute jars I ordered for my medicinal honey recipes :)
see the nice little flecks of lavender?
And there you go! 
Cute, organic and homemade, great for gifts and you can get cases of fruit right now for cheap!
It took me an hour to make in total and I got 6-8oz jars and 4-3.75oz jars and everything cost me $11.00

I was motivated to make my own again when I recently paid $7 at the farmers market for an 8oz jar of jam....and when I asked if there was a discount for buying multiples the answer was a quick "no"
And sometimes Kris and I make it together, which is super fun and super sticky!

No comments:

Post a Comment