Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Tincturing

Yes! I finally have a tincture press!
Some things are much easier to acquire in the States...



Until now I have been hand squeezing/wringing out my tinctures, which is time consuming and after about doing 3 tinctures your hands feel like they they have rope burns all over them! Not cool!

Oh right...what is a tincture??????

Tincturing is a super infusion of herbs in a 'marc', the marc is usually a solution of alcohol or glycerine.


I only use glycerine in all of my tincturing as I am allergic to alcohol. Plus it tastes a lot better!

Tinctures are concentrated and can be used instead of a decoction or tea as you only need to take a small amount at a time and they are travel friendly!

So after soaking in the glycerine for about 6 weeks you need to strain out the herb and this cool contraption makes it sooo much easier!!!

Here I'm straining out my Echinacea Tincture....



So just fill the little cloth bag with tincture
put it in-between the 2 bowls
screw down the top screw thing....
and out pours the liquid medicine

Perfection!!!


Finished Product!
Echinacea angustifolia Glycerite!


available on my online sites......



2 comments:

  1. love that thing! so glad you got one! and love the tinctures i got from you!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole~
    I'm not sure if you'll receive this since your post was so long ago, but I've just begun learning about herbal tinctures and want to get a press like the one you've mentioned in this blog post but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere! Can you tell me where you got it? Thank you!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete